Tweed Fire Department Logo TWEED FIRE DEPARTMENTFire Ban Status
Tweed Fire Department Logo Fire Ban Status

Carbon Monoxide

On April 15, 2015 Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors became law if your home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.

Tweed Fire Department believes that whether you are required by law or not, very home should have a Carbon Monoxide Detector

What is Carbon Monoxide

CO is commonly known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, odourless and tasteless gas that can be deadly

Carbon Monoxide gas is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in their fuel-burning appliance

Devices that can give off CO gases that are commonly found in homes are

How you can prevent CO in your home

Ensure that all your fuel-burning appliances in your home are inspected yearly.

Check and clean all outside fuel-burning appliance vents

Under no circumstance use a portable fuel-burning appliance in your home

What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death

Change your batteries in your Carbon Monoxide Detector yearly when you replace your Smoke Alarm batteries